Birthday Kid
THE BIRTHDAY KID
I
William, whose taxi I booked on
special occasions, rang to tell me that he had arrived. With my devoted live-in
maid supporting me by holding my left arm and with the walking stick firm in my
right hand, I proceeded to our lift. Within a few minutes, Ati and I boarded
the fine Mercedes limousine. After another few seconds we left Mandarin
Gardens, where I resided, and started the 35 minutes trip to the Gordon Grill
in the downtown Goodwood Park Hotel.
“Why are you going out on Saturday, Sir? The traffic is heavy.”
“It’s my 93rd birthday,
William. And I want to celebrate it.”
Before long, it was clear that William’s
observation proved right. Usually, the trip down Marine Parade takes about five
minutes. But, as we passed the first
traffic light, William had to apply the brakes before he built up the usual
speed. We had to proceed bumper to bumper.
Ati took out my handphone from my
male handbag and put on music of Johann Strauss, Jr. I tried to concentrate on the attractive
waltzes but before long, my mind strayed into the past.
Naturally, I had no memories of my
birth in the Moll clinic in Vienna or of my trip back with mother in a horse
driven fiacre. We dwelt in the Obere Donaustrasse in Leopoldstadt – the 2nd District,
where successful Jewish families resided during the post WWI period. Years later, mother told me that baby Peter
enjoyed the Viennese waltzes. She liked to play these on our gramophone – which had been a recent
acquisition.
My first, dim, memory is of my fourth year birthday party, enlivened by
a record of the very music played years later on my handphone during my trip
downtown. I recalled how my first cousin, then known as Eddie and who was some
two years older than me, rode triumphantly a toy elephant I had been gifted. A
third boy – Erich Tindel – viewed him disdainfully. Erich was about nine years old and had no
time for such ‘childish amusements’.
As it happened, my
parents escaped from Europe in time, ending up in Tel Aviv. My cousin's family
emigrated to Australia before the war. He later enjoyed a successful
professional career and accumulated considerable wealth. Erich’s parents waited
too long. I do not know where they ended. Suffice it to say that I never saw
him again.
When I raised my eyes, I was surprised to see that we were stuck in a
traffic jam. Far from being on the ECP, we were still in Marine Parade.
“Should I ring the restaurant to tell them we may be late?”
“No need yet, Sir. Maybe wait till Bugis.”
As we continued, my mind focused on Eddie (who became
known as Ted). Following a successful career as a conveyancer and businessman,
he had to be moved into assisted living after his last, allegedly successful,
operation. His only request, when he spoke at all, was to ask for a lollipop. After
six years in the facility, he passed away. His fortune, impressive though it
had been, could not shield him from the frailties of old age. In reality, his
wealth gave him confidence. But he did not enjoy it in full.
Raising my eyes, I saw that we were just about to enter the short lane
leading to the ECP. The tense silence was broken by Ati.
“Want to listen to Chopin, Sir?” She was well acquainted with my tastes
in music. I tended to listen every night to the Grand Polonaise before
switching off at 11.30 p.m.
It seemed best to delve back into the past. Notwithstanding my father’s
financially precarious position, mother insisted that I have a lavish Bar
Mitzva. In the morning I was called to the Torah, chanted my Haftara and was
given a fine edition of the Tanakh. In the afternoon, friends and acquaintances
came over with gifts. I still have one fine silver goblet which kept me company
during my lengthy life.
In
the evening I went, in the company of some friends, to Habimah. The performance
of Peer Gynt – in Leah Goldberg’s sparkling translation – was outstanding. I
saw the play later on in Vienna, in Munich and in London. But the show in Tel
Aviv’s leading theatre was by far the best. I was particularly impressed with a
scene – in the last act – in which the moulder of the buttons grants Peer extra
time to enable him to ‘find himself’. The hero did so when he returned to his
original home and found that Solveig had prepared it for his reappearance.
“Lucky Peer,” I reflected. “His extensive
trip led him back to his origin. His itinerant voyage ended in the very place
he had departed from. He had been so preoccupied with himself, that he had
failed to adapt to any environment he visited during his lengthy and often
stormy trip. Others, like me, integrated in places traversed by them.
Singapore, a city in which the parents of most residents settled after leaving
their home, provided a fine abode.
A sudden jerk induced me to return
into the present era. With genuine irritation I noted that we were stuck in yet
another traffic jam on the ECP.
“What happened, William?”
“Accident, Sir. Today drivers
impatient. They want to hurry and then make accident.”
To my relief, Ati remained composed.
I recalled how, some two years earlier, my God Daughter and I had a near-accident
when we went home by taxi after disembarking from a cruise of the Indonesian
Islands. Fortunately, our driver swerved in time when another car entered the ECP without its driver taking the
common-sense precaution of looking where he was going. We arrived without
mishap, though badly shaken.
“Fortune,” I mused. “Fortuna (or the
hand of the Goddess Fortuna) – mankind tends to overlook her role and effect.
But, in reality, isn’t she (or it) singularly powerful? Had it not been for the
wet weather, Napoleon might have won the Battle of Waterloo. Some two hundred
years before it, a flu epidemic derailed Suleiman the Magnificent’s siege of
Vienna. Luck, sheer luck is powerful. We
tend to ignore it because we like to think that we are in charge or, in plain
language, that we make our own rational decisions. But do we?”
I had to concede that luck – or a
series of coincidences – had shaped my own life. In 1948, when the United
Nation’s Assembly recognised Israel, all of us watched anxiously how the vote
proceeded. The news media proclaimed our ‘victory’. But the new state was not a
bed of roses. The British Army’s departure and the Arab nations’ boycott cum
the loss of the neighbouring markets led to economic problems. Mass immigration of Holocaust survivors
exacerbated them. Before long, my father left Tel Aviv and eked out a living in
Europe. In due course, he returned to Vienna where he built up a thriving
business.
His success enabled me to give up
law practice in Tel Aviv and proceed for further studies to Oxford. Then, after
some two years in my alma mater, I decided not to return to a safe job offered
to me by a bank in Israel and proceeded to Singapore. Was this not a stroke of
luck?
II
My reflections were interrupted
by the siren of an approaching
ambulance. I watched how most drivers
did their best to make room for it. It was – I realised – proceeding to the
venue of the accident. Hopefully, it would arrive in time.
Somewhat shamefully I recalled my own accident, which had taken place during
my first spell in Singapore. In those days – in 1962 – there was no ECP. You
had to proceed to Changi via the old Merdeka Bridge. The trip to a fine restaurant in Changi from
our campus in Bukit Timah took some forty-five minutes.
In my impatience I drove too closely behind another car. When its driver
applied the brakes unexpectedly, I crashed into him. As I hit my own windscreen
and hurt my shoulder, I had to be taken to a nearby hospital. Knowing that I
was guilty of ‘tailing,’ I compensated the ‘other driver’. My only other mishap came many years later,
when, already in my eighties, I lost control of my car and struck a banister.
No one was hurt, but the incident persuaded me that it was time to give up
driving.
“Sir, better call the restaurant now,” I heard William’s voice.
As I looked around me, I saw that we were proceeding at a very slow pace.
Two lanes of the spacious expressway had been closed. Three cars, which had
been involved in the accident, had been pulled to the side. Officers of the
traffic police were measuring the marks left by the tires on the road. It was
clear from the sight of the wreckage that it had been a serious collision.
It occurred to me that, if William had taken the older route, we would on
this specific day have arrived at our destination earlier than by the novel –
highly efficient – ECP.
As we traversed the fine Sheares Bridge, I remembered how a colleague,
who gave me a lift, crossed it shortly it had been completed. I had at that
time been a professor of law at Monash University in Melbourne but managed to
come over to Singapore for a one-year visit. By then, the port town of the
sixties had transformed itself into a financial hub. During that first crossing
of the bridge, I had started to contemplate the feasibility of moving back to
Singapore on a permanent basis.
“You better ring restaurant now, Sir,” observed Ati. “We book table for
12.30. Now is 12.20.”
“When are we going to arrive, William?”
“If traffic OK, in twenty minutes.
Better tell them half an hour.”
Without delay, I rang the Gordon Grill. A polite receptionist – a Philippina
– assured me that they would hold the table for me.
“Don’t worry, Prof. Traffic on Saturday always slow.”
Her calm voice reassured me. Then, to my own surprise, I broke into a
smile. My title – ‘Prof.’ – had stuck to me although I had been fully retired
for ages. Over the years, I had
frequented this dignified restaurant. Its conservative ambience suited my
taste. In a city that metamorphosed over the years, it was good to have an
anchor which had remained steady over all this time.
Before long we left the ECP and took the lane leading to Bugis. As we
passed the Beach Road junction, I recalled that during the sixties beach road
sprawled along the shore. Over the years, the highly efficient government of
Singapore reclaimed land originally covered by sea. The very condominium in
which I resided had been erected on such land. Once again, I noted the hand of
fortuna. If the government had reclaimed more land on the West Coast, Mandarin
Gardens – my retiring abode – might have been erected there.
The next junction was Bugis. My late wife had frequented its modern and
sparkling shopping centre. From time to time, she spotted a good bargain. On
two occasions we had walked down the crowded lane across the road. But it was
too narrow for comfort and the cheap clothes and other apparel stores along it
were poorly ventilated. After settling in Mandarin Gardens, we went regularly
to a Japanese restaurant on the fifth level of the shopping centre but gave the
lane a miss. Following my wife’s sad demise after a four-year battle with
cancer, I did not feel inclined to revisit it.
In the sixties, Bugis was a red lights district. Vice was openly
displayed. I came to know the centre quite well. On its outskirts there was a stall
famous for its produce: the finest Paus [rice flour buns] in Singapore. My late
wife liked their excellent Kai Pau [large Pau stuffed with braised and nicely spiced
beef] and I relished the Char Sieu Paus [buns stuffed with slightly sweetened
braised pork].
About twice a week I drove down to Bugis and joined the occasionally long
queue in front of the Paus Stall. Whilst waiting patiently I used to observe
the spectacles in the adjacent red-light spot. I recalled, in particular, how I
admired a gracious dance by a drag-queen; I was
impressed by the long blond hair. When the performance ended, the
dancer took off the wig and, to my
surprise, I realised that the artist was a transvestite.
Singapore’s government, headed by Lee Kuan Yew, had the place ‘cleaned
up’. My suspicion, though, was that the activities there carried on for the
world to see, had simply moved underground. Mankind’s urges and inclinations
could not be suppressed.
Within another few minutes, William’s taxi passed the front of the famed
Raffles Hotel. It had been there in the sixties: a rather small and dignified
typical colonial place. Renovations had turned it into a large compound,
boasting shops and boutique restaurants. But the famous Tiffin Room was still
there as, indeed, was the celebrated bar.
Somerset Maugham used to stay in the Raffles Hotel when he visited the
East and attended the bar. Newcomers to Singapore liked to visit it –
notwithstanding the price of drinks – so that they were able to state that they
‘had been to the Raffles’. I did so in 1962. When, in 2023, my niece flew over
from Sydney to pay me a visit, she too flocked there and afterwards complained
about the bill. Once again, I realised, that human nature remained unaltered.
And fortuna did not seek to affect it.
By now the traffic was less hectic. William went through a lengthy tunnel
linking the city with the Orchard Road area. As we sped through Grange Road, I
admired the old fashioned, colonial, architecture. I knew that it was only a
question of time before the buildings were pulled down and replaced by modern
structures. Whilst human nature remained static, habitats yielded to the spirit
of changing eras.
After another few minutes, halting at the traffic lights which superseded
the old-fashioned circuses (roundabouts) of the sixties, we finally arrived at
the Goodwood Park Hotel. Both Ati and
William helped me to get out of the limousine.
III
A porter assisted me to ascend the seven stairs leading to our culinary
destination. The restaurant had been founded in 1963 and called ‘Gordon
Grill’ to commemorate the late Mrs. Manasseh, whose maiden name had been
Gordon. It was still located in its original abode: the heritage part of the
elegant hotel.
Once again, I was amused to spot the hand of Fortuna. In 1933 I saw light in the Moll clinic, which had been
founded by a Jewish paediatrician. And, exactly 93 years later, I celebrated my
birthday in a restaurant named in honour of a Jewish matriarch.
Ati and I settled in a table near the entrance. We knew the menu well.
The set lunch was the best deal. You ordered three out of the five available
starters, could take a sample of three soups and chose a main dish. Knowing
that Ati – a devout Muslim – did not take pork, I watched with amusement how
she asked that her scallop (one of the starters) be not topped with a slice of
bacon.
“Sir can have it,” she told the waiter, who was aware of her attitude and
who grinned conspiratorially. He also knew that I was a secular Jew, who did
not observe the dietary commands of his
faith. At my prompting, Ati ordered tiramisu whilst I had to make do with a cup
of coffee.
“Why you not order glass of wine, Sir?” she asked.
“The doctor has proscribed it,” I told her sadly.
“One time, never mind. Today your birthday!”
Ignoring my endocrinologist’s clear instruction, I went ahead, realising
that at ninety-three years of age, survival itself was a feast and – in reality
– Fortuna’s gift. I also felt that such an order would suit the environment: outside,
Singapore kept changing; inside, the Gordon Grill remained as of old.
Whilst the kitchen prepared our orders, I recalled that, in 1964, I had
taken our external examiner, a famous London University scholar, for lunch in
that very place. When he asked whether Singapore had any renowned fish dishes,
I suggested that we order grilled Terakihi. As we enjoyed the excellent dish,
Jim observed that he agreed with all my marks but wondered why I had
recommended that we pass one B.
“Was his class performance so good?” He asked looking at me intently.
It seemed best to reveal the full story. B resided in the
university-dormitory of which I was a fellow. B organised most of our
functions, supervised the quality of the food prepared in our kitchen and
generally saw to it that everything ticked. Both the master and the residential
fellows (including me) found his assistance of great benefit. Regrettably,
though, B’s performance in his course of studies was poor.
One morning, when I went over to his room to offer him some extra
tuition, I was shocked to find him chanting some strange words whilst standing
on his head. He explained that he was
aware of his unsatisfactory academic record. Following a consultation with his guru,
he believed that this strange discipline would somehow carry him through his
examinations.
Relishing the irony involved, our apparently stern external examiner
grinned from ear to ear. Observing that we should not fault the guru, he
affirmed my mark.
As Ati and I relished the delicious starter, I reflected that the act of
kindness – the act of passing B – had turned out to be his downfall.
B’s record as a practising lawyer was dismal. Had we failed him, he might
have pursued his interest as organiser and supervisor of functions. For
instance, he might have become the manager of a leading hotel. He had the
aptitude.
Had he gone down that path, Fortuna might have smiled at him. She did not
step to his aid, when he took the legal alley. “Beware of pity”, I mused thinking of Zweig’s novel on that very
subject. Fortuna can afford to be kind and capricious. For human beings, the
straight and narrow – the principled path – is usually the best route.
IV
The waiter cleared the table and brought the soups. They were steaming
hot. As we waited for them to cool, I recalled how I had taken my late wife to
the Gordon Grill shortly after our wedding. She appreciated the food but
concluded that the ‘snobbish’ ambience was artificial. I was not surprised that Pat – whose family
had roots in mainland China – objected to the relaxed colonial atmosphere. By
way of compromise, we started to patronise a Japanese restaurant located in the
Goodwood Park complex.
Looking back, I gradually came to realise that Pat and I had perhaps been
less suited to one another than either of us understood at the time. She was
too immersed in Chinese culture to come to terms with my West European outlook.
My attempts to solve the problem by taking up post in Wellington and thereafter
in Australia had been counterproductive. Pat found Australasian environments
and societies uncongenial.
Our lengthy marriage might have been smoother if we had held the same
religion. Pat, though, adhered to her staunch Christian faith whilst I remained
a Jewish agnostic. I felt uneasy and out of place on the rare occasions on which I accompanied
Pat to church. With an internal grin, I remembered how Pat made critical
remarks when I observed Rosh Hashanah [the Jewish New Year] and Yom
Kippur [the Day of Atonement involving a fast]. Faith might have been a
good glue; divergence was a factor pulling us apart.
In retrospect, we were perhaps fortunate not to have had children.
Earlier on, this absence had seemed
another of life’s failures. I used to think that children would have bound
together two people who, despite years of shared history, had gradually ceased
to travel in the same direction. But today – in the winter of life – I realised
that, in all probability, the difference in faith would have pulled children in
conflicting directions. Fortuna – my Goddess – took the correct course by
failing to smile.
Our return to Singapore, which I had imagined might restore some sense of
companionship, did not in fact bring Pat and me closer. The familiar
surroundings revived memories but not intimacy. We continued side by side more
from habit and mutual recognition than from any genuine rediscovery of one
another. By then our lives had already diverged inwardly, even while outward circumstances
once again appeared settled.
After Pat’s demise, I found myself returning quietly to the community
from which much of my earlier life had emerged. In old age there is perhaps a
tendency to circle back to one’s beginnings, not from conviction alone but from
a need for familiarity and continuity. I resumed contact with people and
customs that had once seemed distant to me, and in doing so discovered not
reconciliation exactly, but a certain measure of calm.
In the years that followed, her family gradually withdrew from my life. Initially,
I felt abandoned. Later on, I accepted the situation with a shrug. In reality: as widower I discovered a degree of peace
My current life – being looked
after by a loyal though emotionally detached helper – possessed a tranquillity
that had often eluded us during the final years of our marriage. Looking back
now, I am inclined to think that (all things considered), Fortuna had smiled
upon me.
By now Ati and I had taken the soups. Smilingly, the waiter cleared the
table and then brought our main course. I looked at the medium grilled steak
eagerly. The Gordon Grill continued to provide meat imported from Ireland.
Despite the handicap of my dentures – which needed adjustment – I munched
enthusiastically. The Japanese Wagyu
beef, offered by some modern restaurants, was even more tender but lacked the bite
and aroma of the Gordon Grill’s traditional steaks. As I raised my eyes from
the plate, I noticed that Ati looked at me searchingly.
“You thought about Madam, Sir?”
“I did, Ati. Am not certain I was a good husband.”
“This is over, Sir. You better not think about it.”
At that moment I found myself agreeing silently with the Jewish sentiment respecting the value of
continuity and atmosphere. The Gordon Grill, with its restrained colonial
dignity, reminded me of sessions spent in the Oxley Rise area, where, during
the nineteen-sixties, I used to visit regularly the residence of the matron of
Singapore’s Jewish community.
Every Friday evening, I drove there after work. Formality was observed.
We arrived wearing suits and were received with old-fashioned courtesy. Yet,
once seated at the long dining table, most of us discreetly removed our jackets.
The spacious room was cooled only by slowly turning ceiling fans.
Air-conditioning had not yet become commonplace in Singapore and, in
retrospect, the slight discomfort seemed part of the charm of that vanished
era.
The religious service preceding dinner tended to be lengthy. Her cantor –
an employee engaged for the purpose – possessed a ponderous voice and chanted
in a manner which I, being by temperament more secular than devout, found wearisome.
Fortunately, the culinary rewards more than compensated for the spiritual
exertion. The meals were excellent and abundant. I particularly remembered the
succulent mangoes imported from India, whose fragrance filled the dining room
long before they appeared on the table.
Looking back, I realised that what drew me there was not faith alone, nor
even companionship, but the atmosphere of continuity: the sense that, for a few
hours every Friday evening, one stepped into a protected world preserving
manners, rhythms and habits already disappearing from modern Singapore. In due
course, after I married out of the community, my visits ceased. Yet the memory
of those evenings lingered and returned to me now, seated in the Gordon Grill,
whose fading colonial ambience awakened recollections of another vanished
world.
Ati meanwhile had progressed steadily to the tiramisu. Observing her
unconcealed enjoyment, I felt a sudden twinge of envy.
“Sir want one spoon?” she asked teasingly.
I hesitated. The endocrinologist’s prohibitions had already been breached
by the wine. After brief reflection, I accepted a single spoonful on condition
– imposed by myself with all the solemnity of a treaty – that I would forgo my
customary tea repast that evening.
Ati grinned but refrained from comment.
The tiramisu proved excellent. The coffee, though less memorable, was
sufficiently strong to restore my alertness. By then the lunch crowd had begun
to thin. A younger clientele was arriving for afternoon refreshments and
informal meetings. Their animated voices contrasted with the restrained decorum
that still lingered in the old dining room.
With the assistance of the porter and of Ati’s steady arm, I descended
the seven stairs leading from the restaurant. Outside, the humid Singapore
afternoon struck me immediately. William, punctual as ever, had already brought
the Mercedes limousine to the entrance. It dawned on me that he, too, had a break,
probably taking lunch in the nearby food court, which I knew well.
Before entering the vehicle, I turned briefly and looked back at the old
façade of the Goodwood Park Hotel. For a fleeting moment, I had the curious
sensation that I was not merely leaving a restaurant but taking leave of yet
another fragment of a vanished world.
V
As William turned towards Victoria Street, I asked him whether he might
pass by the old synagogue in Waterloo Street.
“That way longer, Sir,” he replied at once. “Waterloo Street one way now.
Need make big round.”
“I shall pay the extra,” I assured him.
William glanced at me in the mirror and smiled.
“No need, Sir. Today your birthday. I give present.”
Ati laughed softly whilst I expressed my thanks. Before long, William
manoeuvred the Mercedes through the dense city traffic and entered the narrower
roads of the older quarter.
When at length we approached the synagogue, I was struck by how modest
the building appeared. In the nineteen-sixties it had seemed far larger and
somehow more imposing. Perhaps this diminution was merely one of the penalties
of age: places remain static whilst memory enlarges them.
During my earlier Singapore years, I had attended the synagogue sporadically
and there encountered one of the two stockbrokers whose destinies thereafter
diverged sharply.
The first prospered exceedingly. Fortuna smiled upon him to such an
extent that, after his demise, he was able to leave the community sufficient
funds for the erection of the Jewish Welfare Board building. I still remembered
him clearly: courteous, confident and already carrying the aura of worldly
success.
The second broker entered my life differently. His wife, who was
acquainted with Pat, invited us one evening to their residence. He proved
charming, intelligent and exceedingly articulate. During the course of dinner,
he advised me strongly to place my modest savings in fixed deposits.
“The stock market is dangerous,” he observed gravely. “Speculation is
unavoidable. You better play it safe.”
I followed his advice. Ironically, he did not. Over the years he became
increasingly involved in risky ventures and ultimately suffered severe
reverses. Once again, I found myself reflecting upon Fortuna’s curious sense of
humour. The man who best understood the dangers of speculation proved unable to
resist them himself.
As we left Waterloo Street, William asked whether I wished to return
directly to Mandarin Gardens.
“No hurry, Sir,” he added. “Can go by old Merdeka Bridge.”
I agreed readily. The longer route suited my mood.
As we proceeded through Mountbatten Road and thereafter East Coast Road,
I gazed quietly through the window. Familiar landmarks had disappeared. Elegant
colonial houses, shaded by broad verandas and surrounded by spacious gardens,
were steadily yielding to modern shopping malls, office towers and commercial
blocks of steel and glass.
I felt momentarily saddened by the transformation. The old architecture
possessed proportion, restraint and dignity. Yet I also recognised that such
reflections were sentimental. Singapore
could not have remained a sleepy colonial port. Progress was both necessary and
unavoidable. A modern city required modern structures just as inevitably as
younger generations required different habits and aspirations.
And yet – I reflected as William drove steadily on – human nature itself
altered remarkably little. Wars continued. Exploitation persisted. Greed,
ambition, vanity and fear remained as prevalent as in the eras of Caesar,
Napoleon or Hitler. Technology transformed mankind’s surroundings but rarely
mankind itself. The external landscape changed endlessly whilst the internal
landscape remained stubbornly familiar.
As the car approached the seafront near Marine Parade, I caught sight of
the late afternoon light reflected upon the water. For a fleeting moment the
modern buildings behind me, the vanished colonial houses, the synagogue in
Waterloo Street and even the distant streets of Vienna seemed to merge into a
single continuous journey.
Fortuna, I realised, had accompanied me throughout it all. Perhaps
Bertolt Brecht had understood the matter better than most. In one of his
sardonic doggerels, he observed that whilst men spend their lives chasing after
luck, Fortuna herself often follows behind them. The image amused me.
Throughout much of my own life I had assumed that success, security and
contentment must be pursued relentlessly and grasped before they escaped. Yet,
looking back across ninety-three years, I realised that on several occasions
Fortuna had quietly overtaken me whilst I was occupied elsewhere.
Others, more determined or more ambitious, had selected their own routes
with complete confidence and had, in the process, undone themselves. The
stockbroker who warned me against speculation succumbed to it himself. B, whom our
‘kindness’ had helped him enter into the
legal profession, might have prospered had he followed his natural gifts
instead. Again and again, I saw how human beings insisted upon forcing their
own designs upon life whilst Fortuna moved according to her own inscrutable
rhythm.
As these reflections passed through my mind, William turned the Mercedes
into the familiar driveway of Mandarin Gardens.
“Happy birthday, Sir,” he said warmly as the car came to a halt.
Ati smiled in agreement whilst helping me out of the limousine. Slowly,
leaning on my stick and supported by her steady arm, I crossed the lobby and
entered the lift. Within a few moments I was back in my spacious and
comfortable flat overlooking the sea.
VI
Once inside the flat, I removed my jacket with some relief and changed
into an old tee-shirt and a pair of loose slacks. Formal celebrations, however
agreeable, exhausted me more readily nowadays. Ati meanwhile disappeared
quietly into the kitchen, no doubt preparing herself coffee and attending to
the small domestic routines which maintained the household in smooth operation.
Before sitting down, I glanced automatically at the iPad resting on the
side-table. Several additional birthday messages had arrived. Some were brief
and formal; others came from old acquaintances whom I had not seen for years.
Their sudden reappearance, prompted by the electronic reminder of a birthday,
amused rather than moved me. Yet it pleased me that, at ninety-three, one still
remained faintly visible in the minds of others.
Grinning inwardly, I assured myself that I had arrived at my destination.
Comments
Post a Comment